Commercial Enterprises on N

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Commercial Enterprises on N
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 17 Dec 1993 13:48:01 +0400
                      Commercial Enterprises on Net

  So far most of the discussion seems to be revolving around the
past and future behavior of TRF, which has been and is
expected to remain exemplary.  However, is it safe to assume
that all other commercial enterprises will follow this lead?  I
would not want to see the net dragged downward to the lowest
common denominator.  I don't at all object to the additional
technical resources these outfits can provide, but I worry about
the sales side of things taking a dominant role.
  Also, for better or worse, comments about quality and service
are sure to elicit responses.  Not that the responses might be
unjustified, indeed a beneficial sided effect would probably be
that most persons would think twice about lambasting a supplier
if they knew said supplier could and would offer a rebuttal.  It
might make things more even handed.  It might also spark a few
flame wars the likes of which I'd prefer to avoid.  Actually,
I think I'm more concerned about the behaviour of individuals
than about the commercial participants.
  On line catalogs which could be accessed by internet users give
me no problems.  On line advertisements posted to the group make
me pause a minute.  How much text?  How often?  Solicited or not?
My only access to this net is via my console at work, I cannot
afford to spend too much time perusing it and expect to remain
employed.  Perhaps such advertising could be mailed to individuals
upon request as unique messages and not broadcast to the net.
  The short version of all this is that I fear it could grow from
one or three or five responsible commercial participants to twenty
or thirty.  Will they all have the same high standards we desire?
Technical support - yes, advertising in response to specific
and recent enquiries - in moderation.  Daily Specials - no.
Is it possible that this could remain under control?  I'd like
to think so, but I don't really want to be around if it doesn't.