Healey Panels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey Panels
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 11:46:06 -0500 (EST)
Re: Bill Wagner's concerns

Everything Mr. Gibbons said is correct. The other skin comes off the
Healey quite easily and with little fear of problems. The trouble starts
when people monkey with the chassis outriggers or the sill work. The
sills on the 3000 are huge and three parted. Id you mess these up the
chances of the doors every closing are poor.

Having said that I stripped my 3000 to the bones, put it in a home made
jig, and after measuring and photos cut off all the outriggers and sills
on mine. With care everying was fine. After it was all done I respot
welded mine with an Eastwood kit, but bolts are fine too. The panels are
not loaded or streesed at al.

The fear with Healeys may stem from the facts that they are neiether a
chassis car nor a mono really. It's an odd blend.

When you put the panels back on purchase a roll of foam stripping made
eapecially for the purpose, the make sure that the steel and aluminum
never touch again ! Don't be surpized if most of the joining lip is gone.
I had tp rivit a few psots on my bonnet surround.

Good luck ! Press on !

Christopher Ball