Re: gearing question

To: gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Subject: Re: gearing question
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 10:29:28 PST
>    I have a 1973 BGT and I spend 95% of my driving time droning down
> the interstate in a 65 mph speed limit. This means that most of the
> traffic around me is doing 70 to 75. I don't like going more than about
> 65, because I don't like 'screaming' the engine at four grand for long
> periods of time. So, I am relegated to the right lane, while people, or
> whatever you call those folks from Illinois :-) ride my bumper, waiting
> to pass me. I am wondering about the possibility of re-gearing the axle
> in my car, from a 3.909 which is standard to around a 3.5 : 1. This would
> put me at 3500 rpm at 70 mph, which would be desirable. Are different
> gears even available? If so, where would I get them, and for how much?
> I realize that the speedo would be inaccurate after such a change, but
> that doesn't bother me. Oh, I have a four speed with no overdrive.

Obviously; with the overdrive, 4000 RPM is closing in on 100 mph.  That is
the right solution, BTW, especially because gear sets for the axles used
on the BGT (the "tube-type" axle, as opposed to the "banjo" axle used on
roadsters before 1965 and at random between 1965 and '67) are hard to
find.  There's a guy in Kansas or Missouri who is building MGB-V8s with
a 3.07 final drive, but if you put that in your GT without making some
serious changes to the motor, you'll have zero acceleration off the line.

Your ~3.5 ratio will also take away what little acceleration the 18V has
left in the GT body.  The right solution is the overdrive box, because
it drops your 4th gear by about 20% but you get to keep the other ratios
the same.  It's almost a bolt-in, except for the wiring necessary to hook
up the switch.  TeriAnn did that a year or so ago to her GT, maybe she can
regale us with how that worked.

>   On another subject, I keep seeing postings from six footers who don't
> fit into their cars. I am five four, and I can't see over the steering wheel
> or reach the pedals. The cushion I keep bungeed to the seat back helps,
> but it also negates any lateral support that there was, and it isn't very
> comfy. I was thinking of putting some different seats in, maybe out of
> a VW Rabbit (GASP!). Hey, it's just an MGBGT :-) ! Any ideas?

Give me the GT and buy a Rabbit with a tall fifth gear. :-)

--Scott "I *like* the way the B sounds at 5000 RPM" Fisher