gearing question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: gearing question
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 12:06:36 -0600 (CST)
   I have a 1973 BGT and I spend 95% of my driving time droning down
the interstate in a 65 mph speed limit. This means that most of the
traffic around me is doing 70 to 75. I don't like going more than about
65, because I don't like 'screaming' the engine at four grand for long
periods of time. So, I am relegated to the right lane, while people, or
whatever you call those folks from Illinois :-) ride my bumper, waiting
to pass me. I am wondering about the possibility of re-gearing the axle
in my car, from a 3.909 which is standard to around a 3.5 : 1. This would
put me at 3500 rpm at 70 mph, which would be desirable. Are different
gears even available? If so, where would I get them, and for how much?
I realize that the speedo would be inaccurate after such a change, but
that doesn't bother me. Oh, I have a four speed with no overdrive.
  On another subject, I keep seeing postings from six footers who don't
fit into their cars. I am five four, and I can't see over the steering wheel
or reach the pedals. The cushion I keep bungeed to the seat back helps,
but it also negates any lateral support that there was, and it isn't very
comfy. I was thinking of putting some different seats in, maybe out of
a VW Rabbit (GASP!). Hey, it's just an MGBGT :-) ! Any ideas?