Re: Hair pulling over head pulling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Hair pulling over head pulling
From: khazad!briton!bownes@uu2.psi.com (Robert M. Bownes III)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 11:57:42 +0500
->I have removed everything necessary to remove the head from my GT6. But it
->won't budge.
->
        Check again.

->I pulled, nothing. I tapped with a rubber mallet. Nothing. I hooked up the
->battery and spun it with the starter. Nothing. My head's still wedged...
->
        Rubber mallet won't even touch a Triumph 6 Cyl head that's been on
a while. Sledgehammer might, but that's risky...

->So what do I do now? I thought about sticking a 2x2 up under the exhaust
->manifold and pushing it up with a floor jack - could that break anything?
->I'm getting frustrated!
->

That won't work either. Trust Me. It will lift up the car however.

Use the tried and True SOL 6 Cyl Head Removal Trick (TM). I'm surprised someone
hasn't mentioned it yet. We used it to remove my head in the parking lot
@ VTR a few years back...

Step 1: Remove manifolds, H2O pump, rocker gear, spark plugs, coolant,
        and all head bolts.

Step 2: feed a foot or two of soft rope ( hemp for example ) into cyls 2
        and 5 through the spark plug hole.

Step 3: Reconnect the battery (you did disconnect the battery, didn't you?)

Step 4: Crank over ONE Cyl at a Time until head pops off.

Step 5: Lift off head.

Don't use too much rope or crank at high speed.

Bob