Vibration and more woe

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vibration and more woe
From: amc@berlioz.nsc.com (Andy McLean)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 09:36:41 PST
First of all thanks to all that replied to my request for tips on
removing snapped studs - it's well on the way to removal.  So just
when I thought I could relax for the holidays........driving down
Lawrence (for the benefit of Bay Area SOLs) on Friday night I
started to get a nasty vibration in o/d.  The best I can describe
it is a fairly severe vibration which conjured up images of mis-
meshed gears as I frantically tried to get to the inside lane.
I dropped down through the gears and the problem seemed to lessen
but as I built up speed again the car bacame virtually undriveable
due to the vibrations, which SEEMED to be coming more from the rear-
end rather than something in the engine or gearbox.  This is soemwhat
confirmed by the fact that the engine revved very freely when I
stuffed it in neutral.
Anyway, I limped home and began diagnoses over the w/e.  First thing
I checked was for anything obviously loose or broken.  The prop shaft
and universal joints seem fine and the bolts holding it at both ends
are tight.  However I think that there is a lot of play from the
prop through the diff with the wheels locked.  That is, with the rear
wheels locked I can turn the prop about 10degrees and can hear a
substantial clunk in the diff when I do so.  Is this normal ????
I read in the MOSS catalog that there are some thrust washers in the
diff that can wear and cause these symptoms.  Anyone done this work ?
One thing I noticed is that to do this you need to remove the axle-
shafts.  This does not sound like good news since the axle shaft nuts
are tightened to 150lb/ft.  This is way off the scale on my torque
wrench and probably my strength level.  Again, anyone done this ???
Since this is my daily driver and is starting to spend more time in
the garage than on the road I need help fast.  Please help restore
my faith in the LBC !!!!

Andy
(amc@berlioz.nsc.com)