RE:Do Welders that run on 110V work well?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Do Welders that run on 110V work well?
From: Alan Legerlotz <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 10:56:19 EST
In your post you mentioned ARC welders.  I don't have any experience with a 110V
ARC welder, but I would think that the power would be limited.  A 110V MIG
welder
would probably be a better investment since you would be able to body work with
it, too.

The only case in which I (personally) would choose an ARC welder over a MIG
welder would be if I were doing some sort of frame repair.  For that you'd
probably need the extra punch that a 220V unit would provide anyway.

My advise is to look for a 110V MIG unit, and if you occasionally need more
power, you can probably rent the size unit you need (gas powered even, so you
won't need a 220 source) for around $40 a day.

-------------------------------

This is my first post, so I should introduce myself.

I live in Merrimack, New Hampshire, and work in Littleton, Mass.  I've been into
british cars for about 3 years now, my first being a 1974 Midget 1275, that I've
repainted and spruced up (new wire wheels and a Brown and Gammons interior kit)
and that my father will be taking to South Carolina to use as a summer driver.

I'm currently (slowly but surely) working on a 1957 MGA roadster.  I purchased
the car a year and a half ago from hibernation.  At the time it was 10 to 12
years since the car had seen the street.  I'm doing a frame up restoration
because I'm unsure of the state of most components, and my goal is basically a
"new" MGA that I can use anytime to go anywhere without having to worry about
whether the car can make it or not.  Since its British there is always that bit
of worry...

The MGA is now in the process of sill replacement, which I'm doing myself.  Its
a bit job, but I'm glad I'm doing it instead of just writing a check.  The car
will be finished in its orginal Glacier Blue.

Cheers,
Al Legerlotz