Various Midget Ramblings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Various Midget Ramblings
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 08:34:44 CST
Ho hum....

I was getting excited about popping the motor back in the car this
weekend...and boy. it was so sunny and warm (50's!), just right
for putting the engine in. Well, friday evening I was torqueing the rocker
and head on...between chatting with my roomate etc etc. I was turning on one of
the rocker assembly nuts, waiting for the torque wrench to 'click', and
all I got was a ...PING... and the stud snapped...OOOOPS, forgot
to set the torque wrench to 25ft/ib from 45!!

Called Moss to order a new one...drone replies that he can't accept an
order for less than $10. I explain that Moss has accepted a few 'small' orders
several times previously...got the same response so I said I woiuld go elswhere.
Don't some of these companies believe in customer service???? I called
VB and got one sent immediately. However, we shall see if the VB one
fits. The last stud I got from them (among other parts which didn't
fit) for the thermostat cover was just not the right one...the threads didn't
match (correct part numberr on the baggy though). VB were good enough
to send it via US postal by my request, instead of charging $4.30 UPS!!!

I fitted the new ignition switch assembly. I took all the switches of the
steering column, and took of the steering wheels to get to it. First I
tried grinding it off..no go. I then got a high spped bit and started drilling
holes into the side of the aasembly where I thought the bolts would be.
10 mins. and 4 holes later the little sucker popped off. Fitted the new
one and then spent an hour on my back wiring it up. I had to cut the
old 'plug things' off because the new one wasn't compatable. I just
connected the wires tigether using those electrical twist on wire connector
things.

I put a new choke cable in and also cleaned up the heater controls. The next
major problemo was to clean out the oil cooler. Are these things standard?
I couldn't get the old hoses of origanally so I had to cut one :( and then
found it cost $30 (!!!!!!) for a new one. Anyway, how the hell did 'they'
get the oil pipes through those small holes. I had to hack the hacked up pipe
to death before I could get it out! The cooler was rust welded in place as
well. I did blow through the pipe and the oil in the cooler is gross and black.
I don't want any of that contaminating my clean egine! I figured I might
as well not hook the damned thing up because 1) I can't clean it out 2) I
can't feed the new pipe through the old hole, furthermore, theres no other
place to take the hose because the radiators in the way. Any comments??
As in my first question...is the cooler standard? Is is *that* necessary?
Should I just go for 24 hour endurance swork to clean it and hook it up?

Marcus