Re: Spit hardtop installation problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit hardtop installation problems
From: waddy@vsfl.demon.co.uk (Simon Waddington)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 93 16:24:16 GMT
I too have recently been looking at putting on my hard top and likewise
have had problems with the front, windshield fixings.

However our problems are not the same but I'll describe how mine fixes
at the front... The front of the hardtop comes over the header rail of
the windshield and there are two fixings with long (at least two inches
if I recall) bolts that go through holes in the header rail up into the
hardtop front "bit". The front of my hard top (a proper works one) is
sort of folded over (sorry about the descriptive language - a drawing
would be better) and retains two nuts that are held above the holes.
The bolts screw into these nuts and hold everything real firm. There
is also a weather seal along the front of the hard top which gives a
really nice tight seal if everything goes together properly.

My problems are with getting the bolts to go into the nuts since the
nuts are not held firmly inside the front of the hard top, they are
a little loose. This makes getting the thread to bite very hard and
by myself I haven't managed it. I think I just need an extra pair of
hands.

Good luck!

Simon Waddington        |  Misquote of the day:
waddy@vsfl.demon.co.uk  |  "Wow! I could really *be* on this Internet" Z.B.