Re: British Cars Digest #1024 Fri Dec 10 01:15:00 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1024 Fri Dec 10 01:15:00 MST 1993
From: toms@sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 10:50:14 PST
Jensen Healey info.
A colloboration between Jensen and Healey (no surprise there, eh?).
Built from 1973 to 1975 or 1976.  Most were convertible, but in
the last year or two about 300 GTs were built, many with A/C and
even electric windows.
This car had the 2000 cc motor that in 1974 began to be used in
the Lotus Esprit.  Thus, it is a 4 valve/cylinder motor.  USA cars
had dual 1 3/4 stromberg carbs, but EUROPEAN cars got dual
40mm Dellortos (Basically Weber DCOE40s that don't leak :-) ).
Advertised HP was 140.  The cars were softly sprung and lean
quite a bit, but with stiffer springs and sway bars are available.
The aluminum engines are bullet-proof, with a forged crank and
main bearing girdle... and all very closely balanced from the
factory.  Hot cams are available.... and with big carbs and
factory STANDARD headers and factory STANDARD oil cooler,
these engines are gems.  8000 RPM was no problem and still
pulling...
They are quite reliable... my wife drove ours daily for 4 years,
but they leak water into the footwells in the rain... so look
for rust there... as well as behind the doors.  Used cars go
for about $3K, in general.  The market for them is slim, so
buyers are hard to find.  An engine rebuild will set you back
at least a couple of grand.  My engine rebuild in 1987 or so
cost me that... doing all but the head work myself (factory STANDARD
3 angle valve jobs).

1973 and 1974 had british 4-speeds from a Vauxhall, but after that
came BMW-built 5-speeds.

1973 cars have lightweight aluminum and steel bumpers.  Later cars
have big plastic ones.

All cars came from the factory with aluminum wheels with ALUMINUM lugbolts.

Unfortunately, the rear axle is not independent on these cars, and
the front wheels are not adjustable for camber (!) so any repairs
made to repair crash damage has to be done absolutely correctly to
get the front wheels straight.