leg room and mini-skirts (was 11EEE)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: leg room and mini-skirts (was 11EEE)
From: sands@kaleida.com (Michael Sands)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 10:33:42 PST
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Does this come in an 11EEE?

Okay Phil, my turn to tell a story.  I call it the Nygaard
Solution.

Phil and Roland,

Your cars are monsters compared to mine!  Your seats adjust!  Your cars
have doors!  It just is not fair...

My car's interior was designed to fit Colin, himself.  There are no doors,
the seat is a cushion on the floor and a plank along the back behind both
seats.  And the car is small.  My Super Seven was designed to fit one
person and one person only.  You must be five foot eight inches tall and
weigh about 150.  I am a couple three inches taller but weigh about the
right amount.  My knees barely fit under the steering wheel.

Now I take great glee in meeting other SOL'ers for lunch or attending the
British Car Meet.  I am invariably asked if they can try sitting in my car.
 Sure, go ahead and try it on I reply.  Like trying on your favorite pair
of pants or shoes.  Scott tried it on once, in the privacy of his own front
yard.  It is fun to make the offer to people that probably will not fit.
It is fun to make the offer to the kids of SOL owners.

The first problem encountered is the lack of doors.  Nothing to open or
hang on to as you try and enter.  Then you have to figure out a way to get
past the steering wheel.  On leg in and the other is still on firm ground.
Where do you put the entering leg and how in the world are you going to
bend it past the steering wheel, while you still are mostly outside the
car.  Once in you will never be able to get out.

Now I should put up the top, mount the side curtains and place a passenger
in the opposite seat.  It is like trying to limbo under the bar, contort
your legs past the wheel and float because there is no way to support the
weight.  When do want to try that, Scott?  (Forgive me for ribbing Scott,
he was the one that convinced me to buy this thing, here on the net...)

Kids love the car.  Since there are no doors, they can see out, they can
reach the steering wheel, and almost reach the pedals, if they strech and
point their toes.  They can almost drive this thing.

I had to laugh at Roland with a special extension box on the seat rails.
Tall people can fit if you take out my seats.  It is almost comfortable
even.

Mini-skirts?  Well there was the time I took my wife out for lunch and...

Michael

Michael Sands                                   Kaleida Labs
(415) 966-0711                                   sands@kaleida.com