Re: Source for cogged timing belts?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (spitfire list )
Subject: Re: Source for cogged timing belts?
From: palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu (Robert G Palmer)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 10:35:35 -0500 (EST)
>DEnnis writes...
>
>Where can I get a cogged timing belt set up for the 1500 Spit motor?  I
>know they are made for the A sreies but I don't know where and I don't
>know if they are made for the 1500.   Just think no timing chain rattle,
>easily adjustable cam timing and cam changes.........

I don't know the specifics for your application, but "Gates Rubber Co."
makes cogged belts of all types and sizes - 8mm, and 12mm tooth pitch,
widths from 5 or 8mm up to probably 5 to 10cm, any lentgh you want, and
various tooth profiles.  We used them for the drive on our solar powered
car here at Purdue worked great - less noise, maintenance, tensioning,
and friction.

I don't have a phone number for you, but their Headquarters are  Colorado.
They basically work only through distributors (look under power transmission
or bearings in the yellow pages), though if you call the HQ you can probably
get the name of a local distributor.  If you really have trouble I can dig
through my files to see if I can find a number.

--
Robert Palmer, Jr.                                  Purdue University
palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu                              317-494-3750