Re: MGB Idling Oditities

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Idling Oditities
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1993 10:55:07 -0500
>>My 1980 MGB with a ZS carb doesn't want to idle at a sensible speed and I'm
>>hoping someone can give me some pointers.

        There is an air bypass on the later ZS carbs.  I THINK it is on the
side of the carb and looks sort of pointed with a screw in the center.  The
purpose is to reduce manifold vacuum and the resulting rich mixture when the
throttle is snapped shut.  If this thing is sticking open, it would give you
a very high idle but the carb would otherwise operate normally.  Someone posted
a set of instructions for adjusting this not too long ago.  BTW, I haven't
done any carb work for some time and I might be describing the wrong part...

        Those water chokes seem to give a lot of trouble, I wouldn't discount
their evil ways.  From your description, I agree it seems like its working
properly.  None the less, you might want to give the choke a few knowing
glances and threaten it by saying, "I'm on to you mister" just to keep it
honest.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu