Misc GT6 questions

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Misc GT6 questions
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 12:26:23 -0600
Over my 4-day Thanksgiving weekend I thought I'd do some work on the GT6+ that
would keep it down a day or so. So I pulled the dash, and installed a new
heater core. I figured since the dash was out, I'd refinish it. I ended up
sanding off all the crud, and did a pretty poor job. Anyway, I stained and
polurethaned it, and it looks better than it did, but isn't perfect.

Does anyone know of a place that sells new GT6/Spit dashes? As far as I can
tell, most of the main mail order places have TR dashes, but no GT6/Spit
dashes.

I discovered that swapping out a heater core isn't too bad, except it's REALLY
easy if the tranny cover is off (which mine wasn't...). Just 4 bolts, and the
misc control equipment. It took a bit to get the wiring all straight, but it
all works fine. My car is virtually devoid of plumbing, so I am adding some
ductwork tonight. It did have the ducts to the defroster outlets, so the
defroster works.

I also replaced the kludged-up home-brew dash top with one of the overlays
from VB. The overlay looks realy good, pretty original. My problem was, I
didn't have an old dash to glue it to, just the frame for it. I used some
judiciously placed pieces of wood to give it support in all the right places
and then bolted the frame onto the car. It definitely looks better!

I got a new (used) speedo head, but then found out the cable isn't turning.
So my next stop is to replace the speedo cable. I have it, but on the GT6 it
connects pretty high up on the tranny. I MAY have to remove the tranny cover
to get at it - has anyone on the net replaced a GT6 (I assume Spit is the
same) speedo cable from UNDER the car? Is it reachable, or am I going to have
to remove the tranny cover?

I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road, with heat and everything!

Larry