Stripping Stuff

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stripping Stuff
From: gss@acd4.acd.com (Gregory S. Stier )
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 15:45:48 EST
> Removing nagahyde from instrument pannels:
> I am trying to peal & scrape the nagahyde off the instrument pannel.  If is
>not
> giving up without a teriffic fight.  Is there an easier way to get it off?  I
> was thinking of attacking it with a propane torch.  Ideas? suggestions?

I have been having TERRIFIC results from my Wagner heat gun.  I can't recall
the name the marketing types gave it but it's actually just a blow dryer on
steroids.  I bought the more expensive model (they were out of the cheapest one)
with what they call "infinite adjustment".  Take my word for it, it is finite.
I resisted buying one of these for years but finally gave in.  I actually
stripped the linoleum (vinyl floor covering) off my kitchen floor.  It works by
turning the adhesive, holding the whatever, into goo.  The linoleum had been
down for 30 years.  It took about 2 hours to strip the whole thing (12' x 14')
and when I was done the plywood underlayment looked like it was new.  This saved
be about $120, so it more than payed for itself (about $39).  I have since
used it for a variety of other stripping jobs and am very pleased.  It also
makes a great heat shrink tubing shrinker.  My advice to anyone considering
purchasing one of these is to go for the cheap model because I seem to do
everything on only the high heat setting.  Then again, maybe I'm just impatient.

One other thing.  The scraper attachment that comes with this gun is just plain
junk.  It fits over the end of the gun and after using it for about 30 seconds,
it spreads apart and just falls off.  A putty knife of hand scraper works much
better.

Greg