Autobooks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, classic-mustangs@mustang.fc.hp.com
Subject: Autobooks
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 13:10:33 -0800
CLASSIC AUTO RESTORER magazine has a column on the last page of each
issue written by someone named Harry Newton.  I'm not sure what Mr
Newton's automotive credential are, but I usually find his stuff boring
and irrelevant (kinda like my stuff), so I generally don't bother to
read this page. However, a little box insert in the February column
caught my attention so I decided to see what he had to say.  Mostly it
was about two books stores in Burbank California he frequents.  The
first one is called Autobooks which deals mostly in current automotive
books (4000 titles) and magazines (150), plus various back issues of
publications (40,000).  The second store, Automotive Book Stop, sells
used publications, exclusively.

I had never heard of the second place but I used to be quite familiar
with Autobooks.  My first purchase there was a shop manual for an Austin
Healey 3000.  It was one of my favorite browsing places when I lived in
the area.  For years Autobooks advertised in automotive magazines but
stopped a number of years ago and I assumed the place had gone out of
business.  Two or three years ago I tried to find out if they had been
bought out or something but this came to nothing and I gave up.  If this
store is anything like it was in the 1960s, I'm happy to learn that it's
still in business.

I don't know if Autobooks does mail order these days, but if you're in
the LA area I suspect a visit to this store would be worth your while.
>From Mr Newton's description it sounds like it has expanded
significantly since my last visit there well over 20 years ago.

     Autobooks               Automotive Book Shop
  3524 W. Magnolia Bl        1508 W. Magnolia Bl
  Burbank, CA 91505          Burbank, CA 91505
  818-845-0707               818-845-1202