Re: Stud woes

To: amc@berlioz.nsc.com (Andy McLean)
Subject: Re: Stud woes
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 12:45:05 -0600 (CST)
Andy McLean writes >

> Still in search of a "leak" on my 'B I decided to tighten up the manifold nuts
> just a little.  Yup, you've guessed it "SNAP" and suddenly i'm holding about
> an 1.5" of ragged stud.  It snapped just inside the head so i've no hope of
> catching it and screwing it out.  Now, i've often read about these Eazi-out
> things here but thankfully never had to pay much attention to the details. Can
> someone provide me with a brief technical resume of the uses and abuses of
>this
> product ?  Are they sutiable for my dilemma or do I need to pull the head
> (again) and get my friendly machine shop to drill it out ?
>
> Andy
>
> (amc@berlioz.nsc.com)

The first thing you need to do to use an easy-out is to drill a hole in
the broken stud.  Since it is in a blind hole, the torque of the drill
motor will tend to tighten the stud into the hole.  This is not to your
advantage.  The solution is to go to the nearest serious tool store and
buy some left-handed twist drills.  You can then drill the holes with your
drill motor in reverse.  Often the vibration and torque will actually
loosen and remove the broken stud.  At least it won't get any tighter.

If you have reason to believe that LockTite was used on the stud, a bit of
heat will also help, but don't go to hell with the gag.

Use the largest easy-out you can.  The worst thing is to break the
easy-out off in the hole.  They are very hard, thus prone to fracturing
and difficult to drill.  Sometimes you can break them into smaller pieces
that will fall out.  I usually drill the broken bolt/stud as large as
possible.  I take it easy if the bolt resists the easy-out's efforts.  If
it won't come with the easy-out, drill it out larger and put in a
high-strength threaded insert.

Another method used in shops is to call an EDM guy to come in, especially
for broken taps and such on expensive parts and immobile machines.  The
EDM machine can "burn" out the stud (with or without broken easy-out) to
the minor diameter of the threads.  The remaining spiral of metal can be
yanked out.

Be sure to wear your safety glasses when you do this stuff.  Drills and
easy-outs are very hard, and pieces can fly when they break.

Phil "Wish I Had A Right-angle Drill Motor" Ethier

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:59:18 2001