movie cars

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: movie cars
From: <amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 14:42:01 EST
Regarding various recent postings:
I seem to recall reading years ago that no fewer than six Beetles were used in
the filming of the original Love Bug movie, to accomodate various stunts such
as
the "splitting car". (Better than the movie Christine, which nearly depleted
the
supply of 1958? Plymouths, or Dukes of Hazzard, which went
through at least a dozen Chargers.)

On the subject of Batmobiles, if by original one is referring to the car in the
1960s Adam West/Burt Ward TV show, the original was a George Barris-
modificatio
 of a 1950s Ford show car called the (Lincoln?) Futura. Several copies were
made
for various reasons over the years, some for show pro-
duction purposes, others for ???? There has been a bit of a controversy in
recent years over who has, what is the original?

Circling back as best I can to LBC-related items, how about the movie
Blythe Spirit, featuring a great Triumph Dolomite roadster? Or Truffault's Day
for Night, which I believe featured a Herald or Vitesse (I've never
seen the entire film, only little clips, so I don't remember which). Or an
episode of the TV show Mr. Ed that featured someone's Spitfire 4, which
ended up "wrecked" (cleverly done by simply unbolting the nose and placing it
inside the cockpit or on the towtruck, or something like that).

Andy *gee, my Heralds always ran cool; of course, the Subaru is
another story* Mace