Alternator trouble

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator trouble
From: GAKNUTSON@delphi.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1993 10:04:02 -0400 (EDT)
It's help I need, yes -
   My alternator just failed again - the morning of the Indy British Car
show, my local club.  Nuts!  I give up!  'Hep me, 'hep me!  (how can you
resist a plea like that)  Here's the facts -

   CAR - Triumph TR8, 1980
   OWNER - I know little about electronics, and have given the faulty
alternators to those in the trade to fix.  I am not sure of the nature
of the failures, but believe it is the regulator, diode pack or
something like that.
   HISTORY -
     original Lucas alt (a/c model amp wise) after approx 1000
miles (after my purchase of the car), the alt quit charging.  Fixed, but
expensive!
     8000 miles later, same thing.
     1200 miles later, same thing.  Replaced Lucas with GM alt of
similar amp rating (parts available and cheaper to repair, and ? more
dependable ?
     6000 miles later - regulator failure (what I was told), much
cheaper to fix than the Lucas
     1000 miles later, same thing
     2500 miles later (today!), the alt is charging way high and there
is a rattling noise inside, what I believe is a diode that got so hot it
melted and popped off.  (I think that has happened before)
   TIDBITS (may or may not be revelant) -
     The prelude to failure has been blinking of the alt light off and
on, OR the voltmeter showing off the gauge charging.
     I have checked the following - battery connections (and replaced
battery); ground strap, engine and body connections; wiring connections
of the alt in general; and gotten a good belt.
     Replacing the Lucas with the GM necessitated a special bracket,
which is rather cobbled (but not bad), however, I do have some trouble
getting good enough tension on the alt belt, especially at idle, and
occasionally I need to rev the engine a bit to make the alt light
dissapear (the V8 does idle low tho - about 800 rpm).
     The interior lights (the radio especially, possibly others) seem to
pulse (bright/dim/bright/dim) at idle (with the alt light out).

   Nobody seems to be able to figure out why I burn through the
alternators like I do.  They check OK on the car when rebuilt.  In
between troubles I have driven to Boulder, CO., Savannah GA, and Wash,
D.C., with _no_ other electrical trouble.
   SO - I hope someone out there has a idea or two to help me, 'cause I
can't figure this out.  I really appreciate the help.

   Found as a tag on a message in RAS -
     "Duct tape is like the Force - it has a light side, a dark side and
it holds the universe together."

Sitting and fuming as I missed the show - GAK

gaknutson@delphi.com

        _______   __   __  __   __           Wind in my hair
         ___     ______     ____             Shifting and drifting
        ___     __  ___   __   __            Mechanical music
       ___     __    ___   ____              Adrenalin surge