Re: Problem solved!

To: paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk (paul gilders rs)
Subject: Re: Problem solved!
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 07:55:59 +0000 (GMT)
Paul Gilders writes,

>...the cam I managed to unlock the cam by pulling up on the
> shaft and lock it into a new position 180 degrees around. Hmm that's odd!
> I threw the rotor arm and distributer back on, jumped in and cranked -
> vrrrrrmmmmm! Yey!!!
              [........]
> Anyway, I think I can safely add this to my increasing number of
> anti-theft methods - well it kept me stumped for 5 days!

*** This happened to me once, too.  Back when I was young and out of work,
I tried for a job down at Fast Eddie's Gas-Station & Garage.  Fast
Eddie says ``Ok, you're a mechanic?  There's a car over there, my guy's
been trying to start it for a week.  You start it, and you've got the
job.''

   The car was a Jaguar 3.8S.  The engine had just been rebuilt, and
the thing hadn't started since.  I sworked on that thing for ten
solid hours, cleaning sparkplugs, charging the battery, checking
the compression, checking the timing, sniffing for gas, pouring
gas down the carb snout, etc etc.  Never even a hint of a burble.

   Then just for the heck of it, I reversed two of the plug wires
on the distributor cap.  Pressed the button: ``grind-grind-grind-*pop*''.
``YIPPEEE!'' ``This F***ING THING's GONNA START!''.  Fast Eddie
told me to quiet down, there was a little old lady getting gas :-).

   I went back and reversed the rest of the wires.  Pushed the
button again, and she started instantly.

   I worked for Eddie for about a year, and fixed lots of
British cars.  It was a sort of specialty of the joint.  There were
always Jaguars and MGs and Triumphs parked around.  Why, we even had
an Aston Martin that wouldn't start that lived there :-).

                                         - Jerry
--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *