Problem solved!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Problem solved!
From: paul gilders rs <paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 93 10:14:04 BST
Those who recall my problems with ignition on my TR6 might be glad to know
that after 2 hours of desperate sworking this morning, I'm happily mobile
again. I think I had a number of problems which all contributed to quite
an unlucky mess. I think my main problem was in taking the distributer out
to try and stop the upper part of the casing from moving. I then spent a
great deal of time trying to get a reasonable spark which I think I am able
attribute to a faulty or wrong condenser (new) that I put in with my new
points. Putting my old condenser back in gave a much better spark. However,
I still couldn't get the engine to roar even though I had achieved a
consistently good spark, I'd checked the timing about 10 times and I could
smell petrol on the plugs. I was getting very frustrated!

During my 5 days of wonderings I had thought about the possibility of the
timing being 180 degrees out, however I had discounted this as being
impossible - mainly because the distributer had a key on the output shaft
which would prevent this from happening. However, this morning, whilst
fiddling with the cam I managed to unlock the cam by pulling up on the
shaft and lock it into a new position 180 degrees around. Hmm that's odd!
I threw the rotor arm and distributer back on, jumped in and cranked -
vrrrrrmmmmm! Yey!!!

So I now know that there is an internal joint in the distributer which can
put the timing 180 degress out of phase. Has anybody else had this problem -
or is this yet another nuance of my particularly wonderful distributer.

Anyway, I think I can safely add this to my increasing number of
anti-theft methods - well it kept me stumped for 5 days!

The saving grace for all this hassle is that I don't think I've heard the
car run so well.

Cheers,

        Paul.