Re: Cement

To: okane@cscns.com
Subject: Re: Cement
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 09:22:16 PDT
Roland Dudley writes:
 > > From: okane@cscns.com (Olin Kane)
 > > My '67 Triumph Spitfire engine (1147 cc engine) has small, 3" long
 > > aluminum pushrod tubes in the cylinder head.

 > You might check out places that sell air cooled VW stuff.  The tubes on
 > these engines probably get a lot hotter than the ones in your Spit, are
 > horizontal, exposed and fairly long.  It's been about four years since I
 > had the engine in my bug rebuilt and the tubes still don't leak.

Light aircraft engines also have similar tubes for the pushrods.  In
fact, VW bug engines are remarkably similar to aircraft engines.  When
we had a cylinder replaced on our Beechcraft, the mechanic didn't use
any kind of cement, glue or anything.  THere were little white plastic
or rubber gaskets, similar to the ones you get with your garden hose
to make sure it always leaks, but these don't leak.  They and the tube
are a press-fit into the block and head.

For what it's worth,

  --berry