I'm back!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back!
From: paul gilders rs <paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 20:17:59 BST
Hi folks,

        Just a quick note to let you know that I'm back on the list
in the UK and my TR6 is parked just outside in the car park. The
importation went very smoothly and my TR6 is fully taxed, insured and
MOTed with the new "number plates" fixed in position. It was even running
fairly well until today when I experienced a few problems. They all seemed
to occur after filling the tank full of 4-star petrol, although I'm not sure
if this is really a contributory factor. Anyway, my first problem was with
a delayed response on the throttle - very annoying indeed in London traffic,
especially when it would occasionally stall completely and then struggle to
restart. I decided to disconnect the vacuum retard tube from the distributer
which has temporary cured the problem. I wonder if the distibuter retard
mechanism needs oiling?? Ok, then I discover then on leaving the motorway
that while decelerating I was able to obtain huge explosions in the exhaust
pipe - wow! - not very impressive though. I'm not really sure what to deduce
from this, but I know that it means there is unburnt fuel getting thrown down
the exhaust. Does this mean that I should lean out my mixture (UK petrol?)?
What changes should I expect from using leaded 4-star petrol? - maybe I just
shouldn't use it, but I thought I'd give it a try to see if it would give me
more power.

        Anyway, finally I'm experiencing occasional misfire which appears to
have no relation to the way the car is driven. Generally the performance is
good, which is why it is so annoying! Anyway, I've got a feeling my distributer
is giving up - it's rather wobbly - electronic ignition really does seem
tempting at this stage.

        Other than these problems, I'm pretty happy really - well apart from
the lack of finance to pay for new tyres! I found out that the redlines are
actually illegal in the UK - they are only rated for 55mph. Fortunately the
MOT guy didn't know this (I found out from Michellin), so I'll only have to
replace the rear two, one of which is very bald!

        Oh and the Midget is fine too, although I did have to replace the
brake fluid - quite easy with the Eezi Bleed - did it all in about 1 hour
on my own!

        Anyway, I can't wait to receive some SOL news - I've missed the
banta - and it's only been about 4 weeks!

        See ya,

        Paul.