XK120 Gearbox Update 2

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: XK120 Gearbox Update 2
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 9 Sep 1993 13:17:49 U
                       Subject:                               Time:12:56 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          XK120 Gearbox Update 2                 Date:9/9/93
Summary of previous posts: trans popping out of second, getting stuck in first,
requiring pulling off the top cover and using a prybar and ball pein hammer to
get first gear to slide forward into neutral.

Over the weekend I borrowed a top cover from a 140 box with an OS number,
slightly different forks, tried it, no difference in operation, still pops out
of second, didn't dare try first. Then I took the top cover off my Mark 5, a JH
box exactly the same as the 120. The same in second, and then I got stuck in
first again. So I conclude there is a problem internally, the plunger/ball
combination is too short, allowing the second synchro sleeve to move forward
when first is moving backward. That plunger came in three lengths, (thanks Greg
Melden) indicating that it's length is critical to the operation. It is a
cylinder about 1/4" diameter, 1/2" long and spherical on one end. So for now I
put another spacer on the striking rod to keep it from getting stuck in first,
tightened the spring on the detent plunger to keep it in second a little
better, and put the original top cover back on. I will pull the trans over the
winter and fix it right. Maybe put in one of those stop pins Scott Fisher
suggested. Thanks to all for your help.   Rob