Re: Midget wheels

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CC
Subject: Re: Midget wheels
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 11:36:27 PDT
>    I was doing some remeasuring of the bolt circle on my midget wheels
> last night and hoping to get some clification.  I measured between
> diagonally opposite wheel studs (center to center) and measured 100mm,
> or just over 4".  I went to the auto store and was looking through there
> catalog and I saw 4X4 1/4", 4X4", and 4X100mm.  Does anyone know what
> the actual mesurement is supposed to be?

Vega wheels fit!  Didn't yesterday's message get out?  (We had some
update problems with the NIS maps here, so it might not have done.)
Cars that provide wheels to fit the Midget and Sprite include:

  Chevy Vega
  Pontiac Astre
  Chevy Monza
  Olds Firenza
  Buick Skylark (late Seventies, not the early Sixties)

>    I'm going to check into used wheels today and see if it's worth the
> aggravation of trying to get these AR wheels.  They would have to be
> special ordered and I don't know what would happen if for some reson
> they didn't fit.

Probably either the supplier won't take them back, or will but will
charge you a 20% restocking fee, and might not refund your money
but only give you a credit.

>    Also, are the stock wheels ('76 midget) 13X5" or 13X5.5" ?

They're 13 x 5, possibly 4.5" wide.  They're REALLY skinny.  A set
of 5.5" Vega wheels will give you a noticeable improvement in tire
performance, even with the same tires.  If you upgrade to a better
tire (a 185-60 fits just fine on a 5.5" rim, that's not only what
I've got on the MGB but it's the stock size for the Miata if you
want Official Factory Supporting Evidence), you'll be stunned at
how well your car sticks.  And then maybe you'll get those adjustable
front A-arms after all... :-)

--Scott