MGA Cylinder heads

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGA Cylinder heads
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 07:13:53 +0000 (GMT)
mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com writes:

The HRG crossflow head is being remanufactured by B&G. The cost is around
950 pounds sterling...

*** I wonder if anybody's making repro MGA cylinder heads?
The head is supposed to be the car's weak spot.  Seems that it
tends to develop cracks, right between the two middle
cylinders.  _Unfixable_ cracks.  So good used heads for both
MGA and early B are getting hard to find.

   Of course, if my car were to ever loose its head, it might
be a good excuse to upgrade it a bit...

   ``Gee, honey, the original heads are unavailable.  But don't
give up hope, we can get these _new_ ones from England, just $1600!
Of course, we'll need this pair of webers for another grand, and
this set of headers, oh, and we'll have to get the engine rebuilt,
and this hot cam installed... But what can we do, dearest?  We
don't want to junk the car, do we?''

                           :-)

   Can anybody tell me, what's the story on overdrives for MGA?
Was there any such thing?  My least favorite feature of the car
is how you cruise on the freeway at 4500 rpm...

                                     - Jerry
--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *