The Spitfire's ok, but ....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The Spitfire's ok, but ....
From: jsmith@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Jon Smith)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 93 10:10:06 BST
I've had my Spitfire for about 3 months now and whenever I've had a real
head-scratcher I've thought "I know - I'll mail the net about this one". Well,
with the aid of my good friend Adrian Jeffries (TR4 owner and net subscriber)
I've always fixed it first, but now a friend of mine has a problem with a
battery for a Ford Escort (sorry), although the type of car isn't really
important, it's about batteries.

He bought a new battery the other day, connected it up, tried to start the car
a couple of times and it turned over okay (it didn't start for some fuel
related reason or other). Then, while trying for the fourth time he saw a big
spark and the positive terminal on the battery melt! I mean the metal! I've
had a look at the car and agree that it's pretty hard to connect up the wrong
way round and we treble checked the battery is of the correct type.

So, we returned to the store (in the Spitfire - thought I'd better slip that
in). He bought it from Halfords which is quite a large chain of rip-off-
merchants in the UK. This is where the fun began. We were told by a guy who
appeared to be about 15, who is apparently the manager, that the terminals
wouldn't melt because there's something inside which, in the event of an
internal fault, limits the damage to inside the battery (?) so it must have
been my friend's fault. I'd have thought that if this was the case and the
battery suffered such major external damage that there MUST have been an
internal fault. However, they don't see it that way and my friend has had to
buy a new battery.

Does anyone know anything relevant about the internals of these things so
that we can go back to this guy?

Thanks in advance and until the next time my Spitfire plays up,

Jon

*       Reply to       : jsmith@dsbc.icl.co.uk                               *
*       Company        : ICL, Lovelace Rd, Berks, RG12 8TZ, UK.              *
*       Tel (external) : +44 (0)344 424842 x 3807                            *
*       Tel (internal) : (7263) 3807                                         *