PNW Historic Races

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: PNW Historic Races
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 93 07:56:25 PDT
Greetings!

Sorry to bomb the whole list with this, but as there is no good way (that I
know of...) to restrict list distribution geographically.  Here is a public
service notice:

The Society of Vintage Race Enthusiasts (SOVREN) are holding the 5th Annual
(I think) Pacific Northwest Historic Racing Weekend on July 3 & 4 at Seattle
International Raceway in Kent, WA  -  conveniently located 15 minutes from
home.  The schedule is usually the same for both days with practice in the
AM (from about 9 or so) and racing in the PM (until about 4).  Attending
clubs get to do parade laps at lunchtime.

I have attended this event for 3 of the past 4 years, and it has become one
of my summers 'gotta do' things.  SIR is a neat facility (severely underused
in my book) with a couple of hundred feet height change between the front
straight (drag strip) and the back stretch (hair pin & chicanes).  In fact,
it's all downhill from turn 2 (little indy) to a pair of hairpins (3A & 3B)
with decreasing radii!  It's a hoot to watch this area, and great for photos.

Last year the field included: Lotus (7, elan, 69, Cortina, 11, 51 18, 23)
Lancia, Alfa (including a '29 Lemans racer), MG (TC, TD, TF, A, B, midget)
Jaguar (XK120, 140, 150, E),  Bobsy, Allard, Stanguelini, Mclaren, Lola, Elva,
Ford Anglia, Porsche (of course), Volvo, TVR, Morgan, Brabham, Ginetta,
Corvette, 427 Cobra (several - the King Cobra in the program didn't show),
Shelby Mustangs, Porsche 906/917, Marcos, Austin Healy (100, 3000, sprites),
Ferarri 250, Triumphs, plus several more which slip my mind.  2 years ago
it was neat to see a bugeye run away from everything else in its class
including 356s, Lotus Cortinas, TRs, etc. I'd like to have his tuning secrets.

Anyhow, if your withing driving distance, John sez check it out.  If not,
look for such an event  in your neighborhood.

AMF,

John