Special Interest // Octane, lead

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Special Interest // Octane, lead
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 9:11:48 -0500 (CDT)
Frank Condelli writes:
>Special Interest Car Parts phones:  USA & Canada: (800) 556-7496
>[...]
>Very , Very Good Prices! Yes-in-deed!

This place has been discussed here at length before; prices ARE good, but
evidently the return policy stinks.  Be SURE you know what you are
ordering, and don't ever plan on getting any money back -- you'll only get
a credit for a later order.

And Mark Steph sez:
>Also, stores around here
>sell a lead additive called "Real Lead."  I'm not sure of the concentration--
>one of you chemist-types will have to expound on that.

Even "Real-Lead" is a misnomer.  Look at the label - it has no lead in it.
The lead component of leaded gasolines is tetraethyllead, Pb(CH2CH3)4, but
you won't find it in any of the over-the-counter places.  There's a
chemical plant near Houston (Texas Alkyls) that still produces these type
of lead compounds, but *you* can't buy anything from them.  They sell by
the tank-car full, anyway.  (I used to buy from them when I worked for Dow
Chemical.)  Even if you could buy it, you wouldn't want to --- the pure,
undiluted liquid spontaneously bursts into flame upon exposure to air. =8-o

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726