MGBGT mystery ...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGBGT mystery ...
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1993 21:39:14 -0500

    Interesting how similar problems occur to similar cars.  I had the
  exact same symptoms with my 74 BGT.  I took the line free from the
  carbs and the flow looked fine.  But my car would no longer start.  I
  checked many things, I now know that I need new spark wires from looking
  in the dark, but I finally took the carbs apart.  Quite surprised I was
  to find them bone dry even though gas came from the hose end at a good rate.

  The problem was my down stream filter, which also happens to be down stream
  from the pressure regulator, which was set at 2lbs.  The filter was so full
  of rust particles that the combination of the filter and float valves needed
  more than 2lbs to open the float valves.  I replaced the filter and the car
  runs fine.

  Since the downstream filter was so clogged with rust I am assuming that I
  need a finer upstream filter.  This just becomes 1 more thing to do after
  the car goes down for some major work in a couple of weeks.  I can get to
  work just as fast on the bicycle.

       Tim