[jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com: Re: Octane, lead]

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com: Re: Octane, lead]
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:46:38 -0600
And another one.

mjb.
----

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 15:42:15 EDT
    From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
    Subject: Re: Octane, lead

>> o  88 octane leaded, or 92 unleaded -- which to use?

        You can actually buy leaded?  Lucky dog!  I haven't seen leaded
around here in 3-4 years or so.

>Common net.wisdom says the 92 unleaded is better, at least for the higher
>compression engines. I use unleaded 92 in my GT6+ and TR250. According to
>several folks on the net, valve damage from unleaded fuel isn't a problem.

        You might want to do a 50/50 mixture of 88 leaded and 92 unleaded
once in a while.  The octane should still be plenty to avoid pinging unless
you've upped the compression, and some lead can't hurt.  (Lead has a non-
linear affect on octane, so the result may still be ~92.)

        If you drive >10K miles/year, you might end up having to deal with
head repairs on unleaded in some cars.  It depends a lot on the car.  Even
fairly small amounts of lead can help avoid recession, according to the
UK car magazines.

        Randell Jesup, '70 TR6