SPIT smog

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SPIT smog
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 12:38:05 PDT
Having trouble getting the old beater smogged? I recently had to get my
daughters old tr6 smogged. It had barely passed last time and the
friendly smog station who babied it past said it probably would
not make it next time. I remembered a few things I had heard and
here's the answer:

Alcohol burns leaner and cleaner then gasoline. For the same jet setting it
is a lot leaner I called up my friendly circle track shop. They run most of
the sprint cars on alcohol. He was happy to give me some good advice as well
as sell me alcohol at $2/gal provided I brought the right kind of container.

He said don't mix it in more then 20% with gas because it will settle out
unless you add other chemicals. To make a long story short we drained the
tank and put in a mixture. The car ran fine. It did need ajusting and some
fixing, but when all was said and done, it passed with 1/3 the allowable levels.
Far lower then it had ever passed before.

good luck/ dickn