A sad reminder of our mortality

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A sad reminder of our mortality
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 11:59:49 PDT
          This morning several of us were called into our
     manager's office as he had something he wanted to talk
     to us about. This has often happened in the past as we
     shifted charters, or took on new projects, but I could
     tell today was different from the look on my manager's
     face.
          He painfully unfolded a story of a tragedy that
     occurred last night, which not only involved us directly
     and Intel as a whole, but oddly enough LBCs, and that's
     why I'm passing this along, in the hopes that it might
     make a difference to someone out there.
          Last night in Pleasanton, California, an accident
     occurred where a replica 427 Cobra left the road at
     speed, overturned into a ditch and burst into flames.
     The driver of the car is in the hospital with serious
     burns and is not expected to be released for at least
     6wks. The passenger of the car was fatally injured.
          The significance of this is that I worked with
     both of these people, the owner of the Cobra sitting
     close enough to me that I can stand up and see a
     picture of the car on his cube wall. I saw them both
     last night as we all worked late. Me, I left to go home
     & work on my LBC, my co-workers left to drive theirs.
          It made me wonder how many times I have let my LBC
     sing her song loud without a care in the world, and how
     close I could've been to a tragedy without even
     thinking about it. I'm sure they weren't thinking about
     it.
          This is dedicated to the memory of Bob DeVore.

               we'll miss you-
                              Daren Stone