Temperature Problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Temperature Problems
From: brown@saturn.SDSU.Edu (Kevin Brown)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 23:59:22 PDT
Hello!

I'm about to embark on what I hope will not be the adventure of a lifetime.
I'm moving to Columbia, South Carolina in early August and, not being
willing to cough up the $1000 to have my TR6 transported, I'm going
to drive it across the country (San Diego-Columbia 2316 miles).

I've planning on stocking up on electrical parts and duct tape as
suggested but my '6 needs more help than that before I go.  The
problem is OVERHEATING.  Here's the scenario:
A year ago, the car was overheating and had 0 oil pressure
so I brought it to British Parts here in S.D. for a ring
and valve job.  They also recored my radiator, replaced my little fan
with a bigger 13 vane one, and replaced my intake manifold which they
said was hopelessly plugged, and possibly replaced the temperature
sender.

Since then, although I haven't been able to drive it much till lately,
it has still overheat although in a different way, and with much
higher oil pressure.  Example:  After 5 minutes on the freeway at 2500
rpm, the temperature gauge shows slightly over 1/2, after 15 minutes
it's up to 3/4.  This is on very small hills, outside temp 78 degress,
no humidity (it is San Diego after all).

In addition, whatever the initial temperature, if the car sits and idles
for 10-15 minutes, the gauge creeps towards to red zone.

Obviously, this will not do as I drive through the great deserts of
the United States.  The garage says the sender they put in might just
be more sensitive although that won't help the problem at idle.

 Can anyone help me?  The inlaws are helping my wife and I drive our
2 cars and I want them to be impressed. :)

P.S My rebuilt brake master cylinder is holding up great (although I
still can;t get all the bubbles out - 2 bleeds and counting).
However I have STP dot 3 brake fluid in it, from some references on
the net, it seems I should have dot 4 in there.  Is this really
neccessary? (twice the price) And if so, can I just add it from the top,
or do I need to drain all the old stuff first?

Thanks much,

Kevin Brown                             San Diego State University
brown@saturn.sdsu.edu                   Soon to be USC-Columbia