Why slam LICs?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Why slam LICs?
From: gall@gamma.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 17:44:42 MDT
Hi guys,

with all the comments (mostly negative) over the last few months over
Italian cars, specifically FIATs, I was wondering why?

Having owned a '73 FIAT 128 coupe SL 1300cc for about 5 years now, I can
tell you that these things are great! For a '73, the car is far advanced
(technically) over most american cars. It has:

- overhead cam
- crossflow head
- weber carb
- front wheel drive with CV joints that last 15 years!
- helical cut trany (not noisey)
- external timing belt for EASY replacement
- Bosch electronics

Not bad for a low budget compact car! The engine is built to be almost
indestructable and is VERY user serviceable. All new model components
still mount on the old model 128 class (came in handy when I combined 3
engines into one).

As far as uniqueness, FIAT didn't let anybody tell them how something
should or shouldn't be done (they love cable drives on windshield
wipers, door window cranks, a single leaf spring for the entire rear
suspension, etc.). These cars also have that 'European feel' that most
of you love about your LBCs.

The most impressive part is that these cars are reliable in almost any
environment while still having individual character.

As FIAT is still the worlds largest auto manufacturer, parts are a
breeze to get and barely even dent your wallet (although you will
probably have to order it in). A miriad of high performance parts and
accessories are available from Europe for almost any model.

Considering the extremely low prices of FIAT sports coupes these days,
why don't you guys pick up one for the days when your LBC is up on jack
stands?

How about getting:

- X/1.9 Bertone : a 128 class mid engined car with 'retracts' that
actually work (unlike my TR7s) and a targa top?

or a

- Spider : front engine, rear drive (132 class?) that has a truly
exquisite appearance?

Just a thought!

Greg.
(gall@gamma.uleth.ca)