Re: Squeaky TR7 Brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: Re: Squeaky TR7 Brakes
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 16:51:00 +0000
Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca> asks:

>I haven't had them apart to examine them yet, but the brakes on my TR7
>squeal terribly. Is this just glazed pads or are there some anti-squeal shims
>that are missing/not installed properly/defective/useless? Can someone
>recommend some good brake pads?

I send a similar question to the list a couple of months ago.  Here is
what I learned:

1.  The shims that you see in the TRF and other catalogs, that don't
    come with new brake pads, and that you don't find in my car, are
    called by some, "anti-squeal shims."  I think it was Mike Jeffreys
    <mjj@muppet.bt.co.uk> that called them that.  TRF advisors, on the
    other hand, do not think the shims are related to squealing.

    I have tried about four suppliers, and been unable to locate shims.
    Does anyone know anywhere to get them?

2.  Some people recommend aluminum (aluminium) anti-squeal stick-on
    elements.  I bought some, but they are not the right size for the
    application.  I think that you could use them, if you bought two
    sets and cut them up (using scissors) to the right size.  These
    are available from some, but not most, auto parts stores in my
    experience.

3.  I think that it is possible to assemble the TR7 brakes without
    shims and without squeals, though I have not yet proven that.  I
    think that you must first apply the anti-squeal material carefully
    and uniformly to the back of the brake pads.  I think that the
    new (?) spray-on anti-squeal works best.  Next, you must be careful
    when assembling the pads into the calipers to not scrape off the
    anti-squeal material.  The only way I can do that is with the
    calipers moved away from their normal location, so that the disc is
    not in the way.  Third, you must locate the pads so that no part of
    the piston lies off the edge of the pad.  This requires some concentration.

Let us know of your successes or failures.

Joe Gorin    '80 TR7 fuel-injected convertible   joeg@sr.hp.com