How hot is too HOT?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: How hot is too HOT?
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 93 14:34:42 EDT
If you've been reading my posts lately, you know that I am planning to
drive from Dayton OH to Myrtle Beach SC leaving this Saturday.
Well, I went home at lunch and checked out the Weather Channel to see
what we might have to contend with on the drive down.  Saturday is
predicted to be 94 with isolated t-storms.  That's 94 here in Dayton.
We are heading south!  This concerns me somewhat, as I am worried that
my fully loaded MG will not be able to handle this kind of heat (not
to mention the driver and passenger).

Where on the temperature guage is TOO hot? On H?  Halfway between "N"
and "H"?  When I can no longer see the gauge because of the coolant
spraying me in the face?  I think my cooling system is in okay shape
with Redline Water-wetter and fresh coolant (20% as per Redline
instructions, should I add more to prevent boil-over?) but this is
a lot to ask from the cooling system if it is 95 out.  I also have an
oil cooler, so hopefully this will help too.

Is there a coolest speed to travel?  What I mean is the faster you go
the more air you get through the radiator and more coolant through the
engine, but the harder the engine must work.  Where is the break even
point?

Why couldn't we have left today :-( 75 and sunny, perfect )

Bob "Keep me cool" Jones

p.s. If all you folks up north could just turn on all your fans and
point them south, I'd really appreciate it.