Rust repair (intro)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust repair (intro)
From: vyy5214@galileo.boeing.com(Mike Harlan)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 17:40:52 PDT
         As promised, I am posting some tips for repairing rust holes
     with a mig welder.  However, since this is a complex subject, I
     decided to write this up as an article so that I can cover several
     aspects of rust repair.  As such, I will be posting this article
     in 3 parts plus this intro over the next several days.  The 3 parts
     are - Part 1) Rust : How to deal with it,
           Part 2) Repairing small holes
           Part 3) Using patch panels
         First off, I would like to make a few disclaimers.  I am not a
     professional welder, nor a professional auto restorer.  I am an
     enthusiast who has performed restorations and rust repairs on
     several cars, mostly my own.  Of these projects, the most
     difficult (by far) was my '54 Chevy pickup truck, which required
     replacing the inner and outer cowl panels and cowl brace on both
     sides, the lower firewall, floorpan on both sides, and the lower
     rear cab corners.  This project and the others has taught me a lot
     about repairing rust holes.  The techniques required for rust
     repairs are different than for joining 2 pieces of new metal, and
     it is these techniques I will be covering over the next several
     days.
         Next, realize that there is more than 1 correct way to do most
     anything, and this is no different.  The methods listed are ones
     which I have used successfully in the past.  However, these
     methods should be considered as opinions, as "your results may
     vary".  Also, these methods are in some cases more time consuming
     than what a commercial body shop or welder would do, as these
     shops will usually choose the easiest method which gives
     satisfactory results.
         Also, recognize that welding is inherently dangerous since
     there are fire hazards, burn hazards, and electrocution hazards
     when using a welder, so safety must always be kept in mind.  I
     can't assume any liability for any advice or suggestions given
     herein, so use caution.
         Finally, I welcome comments and suggestions (no flames
     please), since sharing information is what this is all about.  You
     are also welcome to use this aritcle for club newsletters, etc
     provided that it is a non-profit publication, the article is
     properly attributed, and that I get a copy.  If you post a
     question to me, please be patient, as I come to you on a delayed
     basis (1 - 2 days).
         Now with all the administrative details squared away, you can
     look forward to Part 1 - Rust: How to deal with it, which should
     post tommorrow.

     Cheers,
     Mike Harlan