Re: LONG journey ahead, boulder bound

To: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Subject: Re: LONG journey ahead, boulder bound
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1993 11:25:47 PDT
Good luck; that should be a fun drive. Pack ignition spares, water and
antifreeze (either in flat gallon antifreeze containers or 2l soda
bottles), oil and brake fluid, duct tape and baling wire. Take some
long trips (half day of driving or more) now, to figure out how your
car (mis-)behaves on trips longer than your usual commute; that will
point you at what else might need to be fixed.

Replacing the U joints is always a good thing to do. While you're under
there, check the rubber diff mounts, if you haven't done so recently.

I'm about ready to buy tires from Yoko, either AVS intermediates, A321
or A509, for my 4A, depending on what I can find in size and price (I'm
probably going for 195/65, since the stock size was 165/80). Check out
the Tire Rack ads in Road and Track.

The thing to consider for your gearbox is that you don't want sulfur
additives; it's the sulfur (or sulphur) in a GL-5 oil that eats the brass
synchros.