LONG journey ahead, boulder bound

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: LONG journey ahead, boulder bound
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 14:11:12 EDT
"Chris Kent Kantarjiev" writes:
 > But your car expects to get wet from time to time - remember, it was
 > built in Britain!
[...]
 > What you really need is a tonneau cover - they're quick and easy to
 > close up whenever you park the car. Not only do they keep the

Very true.  The sad part of my story is that I have a tonneau.  It was
covering the top.  All I had to do was slip it on the car.  :-( I
shopped a bit for carpets, but, I've decided I need to put the $$$ in
other places right now.  Mainly because I have to turn my attention to
getting the TR6 prepared for a 1600 mile trek across the country.
That's right folks, Scotty and his wife are moving to Boulder, Colorado!

The basic plan (as of today) is to leave Washington DC and head west
(good plan eh?) sometime around the August 1st time frame.  I will
slowly be working my way west as I won't need to start my new job
until August 9th.  Unfortunately Peg (my wife) will need to stay
behind to finish defending her masters thesis for a month.  So, I
shall be making the trek alone the first go round.  Any Solers care to
get together along the way?  Planned stops at this time are in Kansas.
Specifically Wichita, and Great Bend as I have friends and relatives
there.

Sooo, I guess I had better start shopping for that parts car before I
leave eh?  Need a tow-bar too I guess. (for the parts car :-) Things I
need to do to the TR6 before the journey are:

        . blast and paint the wheels I bought at Carlisle (old ones
          are bent)
        . new tires
        . new u-joints
        . new gators for the steering rack
        . tune up
        . maybe a rebuilt differential would be a good idea. :-)

I'm dropping off the straight rims at the body shop today to be fixed
up, and will start the u-joint adventure right away.  Most of the
U-joints are probably ok, *but* from the looks of the joints that have
come out of paul's cars, I think I will replace them all to give
myself the smoothest ride possible.  I'm sure some of them are well
used, but don't need replacing.  Too bad...  I'm replacing them.  :-)

As for tires, I'm going for the 205-70 series.  Haven't decided on a
brand yet, something inexpensive, yet fantastic quality.  (Yeah right)
A while back someone asked what the stock tire size was on a TR6.
Here are your basic tire options from the tires program.  The original
tire size was (approx) 185-78-15.

Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
185/78-15         5.7in 13.2in     26.4in         82.8in        765        0.0%
215/65-15         5.5in 13.0in     26.0in         81.7in        776       -1.4%
205/70-15         5.6in 13.1in     26.3in         82.6in        767       -0.2%
195/75-15         5.8in 13.3in     26.5in         83.3in        761        0.6%

I've ordered some MT90 gear oil from redline.  I decided on that
mainly because 90W was what the Bentley manual calls for as the stock
oil.  I sure it will give a bit better protect in Kansas during the
month of August as well.

Cheers,

-Scotty