Diaphragm stretching...

Subject: Diaphragm stretching...
From: "Gregory T. Fieldson" <krikor@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 13:52:56 -0400
It is my belief (with some unintentional testing...) that carburettor
cleaner does not actually dissolve the carb diaphragm.  The diaphragm
is a cross-linked rubber, and it would take more than solvent to
dissolve it.

BUT, carburettor cleaner will swell the diaphragm quite severely
(on order of 125-150% in my experience.) and if there is excessive
stress on swelling vs non-swelling parts of the diaphragm during
this process the diaphragm can tear.  This would lead to cracks in the
diaphragm. (usually with an orientation that relates to the stress.)

I have also found that an undamaged, swollen diaphragm will return
to its normal shape (or size) as it dries.

(If I could do this in a more controlled manner, it would probably
make for a chapter in my dissertation - which already has been severely
hampered by stress cracking during solvent absorption)

And congratulations to Miq!
One of my best friends tells me that his grandfather used to have him
stand inside the engine compartment of his pick-up truck to change
the oil-filter.
Given the proportionally smaller size of (most of) our cars, you should
start training earlier!

Greg F.