SunshineSCCA SUNSHINE Regional(race)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SunshineSCCA SUNSHINE Regional(race)
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 10:48:38 PDT
Rochelle's race at LagunaSeca June 6 '93

| Well Laguna was not at all Seca... In fact it was wetter then hell.
|
| We had gone down to Laguna on Tuesday to a Capri Club event as a
| shake down. It was chance for Rochelle to get back behind the wheel
| for the first time this year and to get familiar with Launa Seca.
|
| I had on put new wide wheels, new tires and new front fender flairs
| as well as new brake ducting. The car wasn't running well during
| practice and it quit on the last lap and had to be towed in. I
| found it had little or no spark so I took out the transistor ignition
| and borrowed enough parts from Andy to put a conventional ignition in
| it. I also changed the coil. The battery was running low and we were
| sharing a battery charger with Andy, who was having similar problems.
| We got hasseled about noise level and had to put on a new muffler.
| We were pitted next to a new Viper and accross from a Ferrari, both of
| which left because of sound problems.
|
| Electrical problems continued during Qualifing. We switched from one bad
| battery to another. As the cars were gridded before the race Jack and I
| were making bets as to which of our cars would run out of electricity
| first. Andy's E-prod MG lasted only a few laps. I think Ix's friend's Capri
| didn't even do that well. Rochelle kept lapping though the car was sputtering.
| To finish she only needed one more lap. As she sputtered down from turn
| 9 to turn 10 on her final lap she turned into the pit lane. She was one
| turn and about a 100 yards from the checker but she was afraid that if
| she continued on into a cool down lap she would never be able to make
| it up the long steep hill from turn 5 to turn 8. It was not a totally
| successful day but it was a good shake down for the SCCA race the following
| weekend.

| Saturday morning found us once again driving the 2 1/2 hour trip to Laguna
| towing the GT6 behind our 20 passenger bus full of tires and tools. The
| weather prediction was for intermitant rain Saturday and clearing Sunday.
| Saturday was practice-qualifying and Sunday the race. We had a new deep-cycle
| battery in the race car and I had reconnected the transistor ignition.
|
| Our practice was 1 pm. When we pulled in to the paddock it was packed. We
| found space in the far back corner unloaded the car and setup our pit.
| It showered off and on and sometimes looked like it would dry out. We
| found out that the windshield wiper motor in the race car had decided
| not to work. We did not have a spare. Several drivers suggested Rainex.
| After some search a bottle was produced. We decided that driving on "slicks"
| might be a mistake. We didn't have proper rain tires (this is California)
| so I put on another set of wheels with an old set of Yoko 001Rs. Rochelle
| went out and qualified on them, spinning out only twice.  8^) It was
| drizzling a bit and there were a few fairly wet spots on track.
|
| After her session I made some repairs to the air dam and a fender flair
> [...]

Of the 45 cars entered Saturday, 30 cars started the race Sunday. Some of the
others had been knocked out in practice, some chose not to run. Of the 30
starters,
23 finished. Four of the six GT3 cars failed to finish.

As we collected the official results and walked over to get her trophy, We
stopped to buy a souvenir tee-shirt with the names of all the race drivers on it
and the name of the race event:

        *  3rd Annual SCCA SUNSHINE FAIR Regional  *

/Dick