Re: British Cars Digest #845 Tue Jun 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #845 Tue Jun 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1993 09:53:03 CDT
Mark Steph (exumfs@exu.ericsson.se) writes:
> I am *not* talking about 87, 89, 92 or 93 octane.  As far as I'm concerned,
> that is all one grade--autogas.  It *should* be red.  I've had a few e-mails
> saying Amoco is marketing a clear 93 octane autogas. I'm not saying I don't
> believe you.  But I am surprised this is legal, because this is *dangerous*.

Well, for better or worse, they are, so there.  ;-)  As anyone in the Chicago
area will testify, they have been running TV commercials ad nauseum for the
stuff, showing such auto-related images as a woman on horseback galloping
through a field of sunflowers. Made me want to leap up and go buy gas. They
also issued liquid-filled acrylic paperweights to all their gas stations, with
three cavities in the middle which contain (1) the yucky, yellowish gasoline
sold by other competitors that have absolutely no respect for you, your car or
the environment and are probably owned by Communists, (2) the nice clean stuff
sold by fine, uplifting patriotic establishments such as the one you're stand-
ing in, and (3) a mysterious little plastic bottle (yes, it's bottled up _and_
sealed in acrylic, in case it tries to escape) containing an evil, black goop
which they have (thank goodness) refined out of _their_ product before it had
a chance to get into your car, travel home with you, foul your plugs and have
its way with your women.

> If Amoco is marketing a 93 octane clear gasoline, this makes it very easy
> to counterfeit aviation/racing fuels...

When I last read any developments about this idea (to color-code 87 octane as
blue, 89 octane as red and 92/93 as clear), it was just a proposal, and was
focused on unscrupulous gas stations that tried to run 87 octane in all the
pumps. Whether anything came of this, I don't know. Perhaps the idea got shot
down for the very reason you suggest.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473