Re: British Cars Digest #845 Tue Jun 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #845 Tue Jun 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: exumfs@exu.ericsson.se (Mark Steph)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 08:56:31 CDT
ME>     These color codes have been in use for *years*.

cak>In Sweden (where Mark is writing from).
cak>
cak>And in the rest of Europe.
cak>
cak>But not in the US, where Andrew and the original author live.
cak>
cak>Check out your assumptions before you jump to conclusions!

Not to beat a dead (and somewhat non LBC topic), but I guess I still
should make myself even more clear. Firstly, I am not talking about
Sweden (my mail address is somewhat misleading).  In the US there are
many grades of gasoline.  I am *not* talking about 87, 89, 92 or 93
octane.  As far as I'm concerned, that is all one grade--autogas.  It
*should* be red.  I've had a few e-mails saying Amoco is marketing a
clear 93 octane autogas.  I'm not saying I don't believe you.  But
I am surprised this is legal, because this is *dangerous*.  Autogas
is the lowest grade of gasoline as far as purity and octane go.  Racing
and aviation fuels are *much* higher quality and sometimes *much* higher
octane.  If Amoco is marketing a 93 octane clear gasoline, this makes
it very easy to counterfeit aviation/racing fuels--which is likely
to cause severe engine damage (and in the case of high octane aviation
fuels, severe engine damage is often fatal.)

Mark Steph                | Live for yourself--there's no one else
exumfs@exu.ericsson.se    | More worth living for.
 (yes, .se *is* in Texas) | Begging hands and bleeding hearts
PO Box 833875, MS L-05    | Will only cry out for more
Richardson, TX 75083      |      -Neil Peart, "Anthem"