Re: Anti-morning-start switches and run-on valves

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Anti-morning-start switches and run-on valves
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 93 14:02:20 WST
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 10:45:57 EDT
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Subject: Anti-morning-start switches and run-on valves

[deleted...]

>that's wierd. We decide that we really need to crank that car and find
>out where the oil is coming from. Once started, the problem is
>obvious, since a stream of oil is positively pooring out of a wierd
>little electrical switch.
>
>"What the hell is that thing?", I ask Scotty.
>
>"Oh, that's the oil pressure switch for the light on the dash", he
>replies.
>
>Hmm what to do now? I don't think I can make it home without losing too
>much oil whilst waiting in traffic. Scotty suggests that we visit the
>generic auto accessory shop across the street and at least find
>something to plug the leak.

I had a similar problem with a Ford Escort about 8 weeks ago...I just put it
up on ramps and had the engine ticking over while I got out to check the
alignment of the car on the ramps and noticed a thin stream of oil pooling
onto the ground!

I dived under the bonnet to see oil spurting out of the oil pressure switch
(that I found out later had cracked on a seal).  Being the bush-mechanic I
am I unscrewed the switch, broke off the diaphragm thingy on the end (revealing)
a hollow tube drilled along the axis of the thread (for the part that screws
into the block)...looked around for a suitable sized stick and hammered it
tightly into the hole and then screwed it back into the engine block.
Checked the oil level (topped it up), and ran the engine to convince myself
it was not leaking...

Things being the way they were that's the way it stayed for a week until I
remembered to buy a new switch.

Useful emergency repair device the humble "stick".

Regards #2 Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (9) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.