Avon Redline Tyres

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Avon Redline Tyres
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 08:40:12 PDT

Joe Flake wrote:

> Nick asked about tires for Tilley the TR6.
> I haven't seen too many (any?) replies to the subject this time

Having recently submitted a post on this subject, I emailed him directly
about my recent acquisition of Avon redlines.

> I saw a note here recently that someone had bought Avons with redlines
> added by the folks at British Wire Wheels.  His comments were mostly
> about the Avon tires themselves (positive!).  I'd like to know more
> about what the added redlines look like.  Could the original poster
> add comments or someone else add an opinion?

Well, since you asked so politely...

The tyres are the same size as the originals:  185R15 (the Avons are H-rated).
>From the TR250/TR6 Enthusiasts Companion, the TR250 (I'm working without a
net here...) came with slightly narrower tyres (175? 165?) in the same rim
size (diameter - I'm not positive about the width).  Also available as an
option were Goodyear redlines (!).  Anyhow, back to your question.  The
redlines are 5/16", I think, whereas the Michelins are 3/8" - not a noticable
difference.  I haven't had a chance to really look at the Avons side-by-side
with the Michelins yet.  The initial impression I got when I saw them on the
car was that the redline was too small in diameter - i.e., too close to the
rim.  I pulled out my spare (which is the original redline spare) and took
a quick look and they looked the same.  This was several months ago in a
dimly lit garage.  I haven't checked it since.  I'm leaving tomorrow for
a 3-week vacation, so I'm glad I caught this - the topic would have been
mighty stale before I could answer.  If you'd like, I can check it out when
I get back.  I will read through the backlog of brit-digests, though.

The care and feeding instructions which came with the tyres recommend using
Westley's bleach-white sidewall cleaner, and _not_rubbing_ with anything
abrasive.  The stripes are cold-vulcanized on (whatever that means).  I don't
know if this means they are any more fragile than the originals, but past
white-wall experience recalls that you can in fact abrade off the white-wall.
According the the folks at BWW, just spray on the Bleach-White, wait a few,
then hose it off.  I have a bottle, and the sidewalls are looking a bit
dull, so I'll try it when I get back, and report the results.

Let me know if anyone wants more details - this is too long already.

John