Old car insurance

To: corvair@shadow.mitre.org, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Old car insurance
From: "Bryan Blackwell" <bryan@corsa.mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1993 08:57:32 -0400
This subject seems to come up regularly on the various car lists, so I thought
I'd post the number from an ad (in the Corsa Communique, Corvair club mag) of a
company I hadn't seen before.  They sound quite a bit more flexible than the
usual collector insurance companies who only insure trailer queens.  I haven't
actually called them though, so this is not an endorsement of any kind.

Hagerty Classic Motor Vehicle & Wooden Boat (!) Insurance
P.O Box 87
Traverse City, MI 49685
Auto - 1 800 922 4050
Boat - 1 800 762 2628

Full replacement coverage
Agreed value
No depriciation
No deductible
Flexible mileage and usage guidelines

One thing many people are not aware of is that "Stated Value" insurance can
really hurt you if the value of the car rises.  In effect, you are agreeing to
an upper limit on the value of your car.  A "Replacement Value" policy is much
better, since the claim is made based on the market value at the time of the
accident, though you may lose some if the value goes down.  Anyway, hope this
info is of use to someone.  Please post if you contact them to give us some
feedback.

------
Bryan Blackwell bryan@mitre.org (703) 883 7329

'65 Corvair, '66 E-type, '69 Road Runner
If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer
------