Gasoline et al.

To: "British Cars" <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gasoline et al.
From: "Dan Golder" <dan_golder@sdm.buffalo.edu>
Date: 4 Jun 1993 08:41:45 U
                       Gasoline et al.
Regarding the gummy goo in the fuel system after winter storage...

Gasoline does break down, and turns to gel after a few months. This usually
isn't a problem in cars, but can be a serious problem for motorcycles.
However, that doesn't mean it can't happen to cars.

Fortunately, the answer is a close as your nearest bike shop (try Hollink's in
Rochester) where you can buy "Fuel Stabilizer". You add it to you last tank of
gas for the winter, run the car to fill the carbs, and you're all set.

The other problem you may also be having is rust and scale forming on the
inside of the tank, and clogging the fuel filter. There is a product (again
developed for motorcycles) callled "Kreem", which is a gas tank sealer. Those
who've use it swear by it, but it is somewhat expensive. It may be worth a
try.

As a final note, if you've got carbon build-up, pull the head and clean the
thing the way it's supposed to be done. Anyone who dumps in a mixture of brake
fluid and water deserves whatever happens to them. Remember, fluids are
incompressible, and should you get too much of any liquid in your combustion
chamber, and the piston tries to go up on the compression stroke, guess what
gives? (and it ain't the water!)

Not to mention the effects of that potion on bearings, seals, etc. My advice
to you would be to immediately change your oil and filter, run the car for 200
miles, change the oil and filter again, run it for another 200, and then
change it again. I wouldn't want any of that stuff making its way into my
sump.

See y'all at Victor.