Radios, speakers, and steering wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jag-lovers@wapsy.psy.uwa.edu.au
Subject: Radios, speakers, and steering wheels
From: robertfe@microsoft.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 11:59:15 TZ
I have a couple of semi-naive questions, so I'll have to ask the lists
to put up with a beginner's ramblings for a moment.

My E-type has this *really* ugly Sanyo radio and these completely
incongrous Kenwood speakers that were installed by the previous owner.
Beyond the fact they don't work very well, they really ruin some of the
LBC effect of the interior. I was wondering what was the original
equipment  would have been? My reference books aren't very helpful,
except to say that Jaguar had various combinations of Motorola and
Blaupunkt radios, depending on the model year and destination area for
the car. They say nothing about speakers.

The E in question is a '70 model year (built December '69) 4.2L FHC,
U.S. delivery.

And while I've got the attention of the assembled masses, I'll ask the
other question that's been on my mind. The steering wheel on the E
needs to be refinished. I'm not a woodworker, but it would appear to me
that all that needs to be done is to sand off the remaining original
varnish, and apply new. The question is, what kind and colour of
varnish? The stuff that's on there now appears to have some colour to
it, but that may just be age. Does anyone know how the wheel would have
been finished originally?

Thanks, as they say, in advance,
Rob Ferguson                                    robertfe@microsoft.com