Classic Car Insurance Restrictions

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Classic Car Insurance Restrictions
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 11:38 EDT
I use Condon & Skelly for my old cars.  I've never had to make
a claim, so I can't comment on how well they handle that.  The
restrictions they impose are representative of most of the
classic car insurers:

The car has to be kept in a locked garage, no outside storage.

Mileage limit 2500 per year, you can probably negotiate for more.

You state the max value you want to insure the car for, but that's
just a maximum.  They won't pay you $20K when your clapped out
Midget burns up.

You have to send them a picture of each car you want insured.

You have to have at least one other car with regular insurance.

You're not supposed to drive the classic car to work, as a
backup for your regular car, or for any racing competition.

Basically, they want you to be doing things that center around
the car - shows, tours, rallys, club events, etc.  What they
don't want you doing is taking the car somewhere then walking
away and leaving it.  Just driving around for the pure hell of
it is OK (as they put it, "occasional pleasure driving") as
long as you don't exceed the mileage limit.

If you can put up with the restrictions, the insurance is
very cheap.  I insure four cars, with a total value of
about $20K for less than $200 per year.

Jim Beckman   att!mtqua!jeb      1955 A-H 100